Welcome to Dan Alexander Dizmentia

Welcome to Dan Alexander Dizmentia
Thank You For Visiting

MAN-ATEE AND WOMAN-TARAY: NEW SUPER HEROES SURFACE

MAN-ATEE AND WOMAN-TARAY: NEW SUPER HEROES SURFACE
Join the Crime Wave

Bad Biker Kitties Are On The Prowl

Bad Biker Kitties Are On The Prowl
Join The Kitten Motorcycle Gang

Formula Juan Racer: Numero Uno!

Formula Juan Racer: Numero Uno!
A Real Wild Juan

Baby Formula Juan Racer

Baby Formula Juan Racer
Juan Year Old

Sunday, November 29, 2020

Pete's Dragon Orchids

 


It's a Brazzle Dazzle Day.  While strolling through my local Lowe's Garden section, I stumbled across a familiar face.  It was Elliott, Pete's Dragon, from the 1977 Disney movie.  The ears, the pink hair, the color, the big jaw.  He has an actual mouth, nostrils, and eyes.  I was kind of shocked.  It looked like Elliott, in flower form.

As it turns out, the Pete's Dragon flower is a Paphiopedilum, which is also called a slipper orchid.  I'm guessing a lot of gardeners and botanists are not as interested in animation like me, so they failed to notice how much this orchid looks like a Seventies Disney dragon.


He has the head of a camel, the neck of a crocodile.  It sounds rather strange.  He's both a fish and a mammal, and I hope he'll never change.  (That's from a Pete's Dragon song, called "It's Not Easy", one of the great Helen Reddy tunes from the film).

While it may seem bizarre that there's a flower that looks like Elliott the dragon, it really isn't that outlandish.  Orchids that look like animals is something that is very much a thing.  Orchids have been known to look like monkeys, lions, ducks, egrets, and donkeys.


I ended up getting two Pete's Dragon orchids at Lowe's.  I couldn't resist.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, what a great find, Dan! I can totally see Elliott's face in these. I love that movie and it's soundtrack. I remember when it was first released, but I missed seeing it in the theater. I finally saw it in the eighties, when it first came out on VHS (rental!). Shortly after that, I bought the soundtrack on vinyl at a used record store (before ebay!). And now Helen Reddy has passed away. Sad. But I guess most of the cast is now gone. :-( Forty-four years goes by fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey TokyoMagic! Yes, the original Pete's Dragon is a favorite of mine, especially the music. I still haven't seen the remake version!

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen the remake, either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been burned one time too many by those remakes.

      Delete