Welcome to Dan Alexander Dizmentia

Welcome to Dan Alexander Dizmentia
Thank You For Visiting

MAN-ATEE AND WOMAN-TARAY: NEW SUPER HEROES SURFACE

MAN-ATEE AND WOMAN-TARAY: NEW SUPER HEROES SURFACE
Join the Crime Wave

Bad Biker Kitties Are On The Prowl

Bad Biker Kitties Are On The Prowl
Join The Kitten Motorcycle Gang

Formula Juan Racer: Numero Uno!

Formula Juan Racer: Numero Uno!
A Real Wild Juan

Baby Formula Juan Racer

Baby Formula Juan Racer
Juan Year Old

Friday, December 31, 2010

U.S. Acres (Garfield's Friends) At The Indianapolis Zoo

I have many relatives in Indiana, which happens to be the state where Garfield the Cat's cartoon production empire is located. I have family in Plainfield, Indiana, just minutes from the site of the proposed Garfield Theme Park that did not happen (we followed that for years, and I saw where it was supposed to be built).

U.S. Acres ("Orson's Farm" in other countries) was a comic strip launched by Garfield's creator, Jim Davis, in 1986. The main character was Orson the Pig, who lived in a barnyard full of wacky characters like Wade the Duck, Roy the Rooster, Booker and Sheldon (baby chicks), and sheep siblings Bo and Lanolin.

There are some lesser known characters shown here, too. The dog is named Cody and the cat is named Blue. They appeared in earlier strips, which I remember reading in the Indiana newspapers during family visits. The identity of the horse and calf shown on this sheet of stickers (dated 1985) remained a mystery to me for a few years, until I visited The New Indianapolis Zoo in July, 1988.



The New Indianapolis Zoo was years in the making (I remember seeing a model of it when I was a little kid). This Zoo was really unique because it featured dolphins (though the Whale and Dolphin Pavilion did not open until Fall 1988, so I did not get to see it).



The Zoo was split up into different sections called "biomes." The Encounters biome was home to domestic animals, and included an interactive exhibit called the "U.S. Acres County Club." Yes, I double-checked that--it says "County" Club, not "Country."



The U.S. Acres County Club is not labeled on the map, but it is right next to the Encounters Arena. I was really impressed with this well-themed Zoo. I have only been that one time, and I know it has changed quite a bit.

The Encounters Arena was home to a Birds of Prey show. A lucky child from the audience was chosen to feed the owl a mouse.


I'm only kidding---that did not happen!

The U.S. Acres County Club is seen in the background here.

Here's a better view from the Encounters Arena:


I don't have any pictures of the inside of the U.S. Acres area, but it was decorated with images of the characters, including the calf (here I learned his name was "Chuck"--clever) and a fiberglass ride-on/photo opportunity figure of what turned out to be "Jodie" (or was that Jody?) the horse. This area also featured various real animals, including farm animals, ferrets, and a cat.

Visitors could also meet Orson the Pig near the Encounters Arena.


In the Fall of 1988, the U.S. Acres characters had their animated television debut as part of the long-running "Garfield and Friends" series on CBS Saturday Mornings. Blue, Cody, and the horse and calf characters were never seen on the series. I guess they were written out with no explanation, like Richie Cunningham's older brother on "Happy Days" and little Judy Winslow on "Family Matters."

4 comments:

  1. Hey, what did happen to Richie and Joanie's older brother?

    For a second I thought I read "A lucky child from the audience was chosen to be fed to the owl"! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. TokyoMagic!: Chuck Cunningham did not last long. I wonder if he showed up late to the set of "Happy Days" one too many times. The worst situation I can think of was the show "Valerie," where the main star, Valerie Harper, was replaced, and the show became "Valerie's Family" and then "The Hogan Family."

    Too funny about the owl comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember hearing about the Garfield theme park. I'm not one hundred percent sure they could've pulled that off, considering "Garfield" doesn't have much of an environment that would lend itself to a theme park. You've got Jon's house, Irma's diner, the farm where Jon's family lives... and that's pretty much it. And I don't think any of those places would make good theme park lands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Garfield is supposed to be the mascot of Six Flags parks in China. We'll see how that works out.

      Delete