MAN-ATEE AND WOMAN-TARAY: UPSTART SUPERHEROES, OR DIABOLICAL VILLAINS?

MAN-ATEE AND WOMAN-TARAY: UPSTART SUPERHEROES, OR DIABOLICAL VILLAINS?
NEW YORK MECHANIC "MAN-ATEE" AND ACCOMPLICE "WOMAN-TARAY" INVOLVED IN FLORIDA BEACH CRIME WAVE

WELCOME TO DAN ALEXANDER DIZMENTIA

WELCOME TO DAN ALEXANDER DIZMENTIA

Frighten Inn Haunted Bed & Breakfast Is A Proud Sponsor of Dan Alexander Dizmentia

Frighten Inn Haunted Bed & Breakfast Is A Proud Sponsor of Dan Alexander Dizmentia
They're Dying To Serve You

Meet the Sea Dragons of OZ and the Yeti Crab

Meet the Sea Dragons of OZ and the Yeti Crab
OZ is shorthand for Australia, and not related to a Wizard

NEWSFLASH! CRIME WAVE EXPECTED TO HIT FLORIDA BEACHES!

NEWSFLASH! CRIME WAVE EXPECTED TO HIT FLORIDA BEACHES!
Catch Man-Atee And Woman-TaRay, Surfacing Soon

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Sea World Orlando's Electronic Eels and Automated Otter: Undersea Fantasy


The cartoon versions of Shamu the Killer Whale and his crew used to have a big show at Sea World in Orlando, Florida. "Undersea Fantasy" was performed in the Fantasy Theatre, utilizing animation, puppetry and live actors.



The musical show featured three of Shamu's established friends: Arthur C. Turtle, O.P. Otter and Sir Winston Walrus. They were costumed actors with moving mouths. I'm not sure how they pulled this off, but it was nicely done. The set was a giant coral reef (the reef itself had blinking eyes) filled with animated sea life, including eels and polyps. I'm not sure if these were puppets, animatronics, or a mix of both. There was a huge video screen behind the actors that displayed movie and animated sequences.

This was geared toward young children, and I do remember some older audience members getting up and leaving during the show. Unlike most of Sea World's shows, this one was indoors and had air conditioning. Being in Orlando, it seems like this had the potential to be one of the most popular attractions at Sea World. I'm not sure when this closed.



The "Undersea Fantasy" photos and this park map, featuring the animated Shamu and his friends, are from my visit to Sea World in 1987. My, how the park has changed!

6 comments:

  1. Wow....from your two pics, it looks like it was a neat little show. Is the theater still there and if so what's in it now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey TokyoMagic! I went to check out Sea World Orlando's interactive map, and it looks like the show was replaced by "Pets Ahoy!" or its location was used for the new Manta coaster. The park looks VERY different from the 1987 map!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK so my name is Ken McCabe and I wrote and directed the UnderSea Fantasy! Its amazing what you can find out here in cyberland!! I'm glad it had a few fans!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Ken McCabe! Wow, thank you so much for writing! I have to tell you that after all these years, the songs are still stuck in my head. Clearly this show and its characters has a pretty big fan base. If you'd like to share more about your work and the show, please feel free to type away here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was a huge fan of the Undersea Fantasy as a kid. I used to insist on seeing it first when I visited Sea World. Any idea where I could find the coral reef song? Was telling my nephew about it and was unable to find it on line.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Joey P! I haven't seen the Undersea Fantasy show anywhere online. You would think someone would have filmed it and posted it by now. I bet it will show up on YouTube one day.

    ReplyDelete