Welcome to Dan Alexander Dizmentia

Welcome to Dan Alexander Dizmentia
Thank You For Visiting

MAN-ATEE AND WOMAN-TARAY: NEW SUPER HEROES SURFACE

MAN-ATEE AND WOMAN-TARAY: NEW SUPER HEROES SURFACE
Join the Crime Wave

Bad Biker Kitties Are On The Prowl

Bad Biker Kitties Are On The Prowl
Join The Kitten Motorcycle Gang

Formula Juan Racer: Numero Uno!

Formula Juan Racer: Numero Uno!
A Real Wild Juan

Baby Formula Juan Racer

Baby Formula Juan Racer
Juan Year Old

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Sea Change: A Move To Central Florida On The Horizon


"Are you moving to Florida?"  That is a question I've been asked quite a bit lately.  The theme parks and beaches of Florida have always been appealing to me, but recent events in my life have turned things upside down more than any roller coaster in Orlando ever could.

In August of 2015, my parents moved to Venice, Florida, "The Shark Tooth Capital of the World."  My family has been visiting Venice for decades.  My father, Dr. Larry J. Alexander, recently retired.  This picture of Venice's Shark's Tooth Festival was taken by my Dad on April 9, 2016.  This was to be the last picture he would send me.  It is appropriate that this picture is so absurd.


On April 16, 2016, my Dad died unexpectedly late in the afternoon.  Friends and family were in disbelief.

This could not be real.  But it was.  And we had no warning.

I got in my car and made the ten hour drive from Birmingham, Alabama to Venice, Florida on April 17th to be with my Mom.  It was a lot of time to think.  And suddenly everything made me think of my Dad.  The first song playing on the radio in my car was a Pink Floyd song (he always played Pink Floyd when I was a kid).


I was lucky to spend a lot of time visiting some of Venice's beaches for a week.  On Caspersen Beach, I found some patches of Palm Tree "hair" and shells and decided to make a Gibbon.  It was a nice, silly distraction.

I returned to Venice on May 7, 2016 for another week-long trip that would end with a beach memorial for my Dad on Saturday, May 14th.


I spent Mother's Day with my Mom searching for Shark's Teeth on Caspersen Beach (she found some of the best ones, of course).

I got to spend some quality time with my Mom exploring Venice.


You never know what you'll find in Florida thrift stores.  I found this vintage Pluto plush from Walt Disney World for $3.00.  This is one of my favorite Pluto items I've ever seen.

I also found this vintage Walt Disney World ash tray for $3.00.  It is really groovy.


This is a souvenir from a time when smoking was healthy.

I would like to move to Orlando and be closer to my Mom.  Walt Disney World is only two hours away from Venice!

On Wednesday, May 11th, I went to visit some friends in Casselberry, Florida.  I had also visited these friends on April 23rd.  None of these recent visits included an opportunity for us to visit a theme park.  However, on May 11th, I did manage to make a "pit stop" at Disney Springs in Walt Disney World on my way from Casselberry to Venice.


My Disney Springs visit included a visit with Mr. Potato Head to compare mustaches.

Some other souvenirs followed me home, like this Haunted Mansion Ghost.


I am now ready and eager to move to Orlando to work and play.  I just need a job there.  And a place to live.  And to sell my current house.  So, there's quite a bit to do.  I'm using Dizmentia as a platform to get a job in Orlando.  If anyone can give me any advice, or help, or a gig, I would appreciate it.

I feel like I was made for Florida.  I'm zesty like an orange.

2 comments:

  1. So sorry for your loss Dan. It's never easy, especially when it's unexpected.

    Yes, you were made for Florida! I'm sure there is job there with your name on it. Keep you eyes and ears open and the opportunity will find you. And by the way, you certainly do give Mr. Potato Head a run for his money when it comes to mustaches, although his is a little easier to shave off. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again, my sympathy goes out to you and your family, Dan. Good luck with finding a job and a new home in Florida!

    ReplyDelete